Saturday, January 17, 2009

and even more concerns... Kit this time

Okay so since I've been blogging about things that are worrying me, why not continue with that thread.

There's our little Kitten. She is truly amazing and just this little powerhouse dynamo that never stops. She is a physical force to be reckoned with... truly, just mind blowing. She is so strong and she is so strong willed and she has a one track mind and singular focus on doing something once she sets her mind to it. Seriously, out of the six kids I don't remember any of them running me quite so ragged as this little whirling dervish of ours.

It's also obvious that she's clever. She understands what we say to her, she can follow two step instructions, she knows exactly what we're saying and responds appropriately. She's seems on top of things and she gets the whole family dynamic... and lets face it with five older brothers and sisters that a BIG dynamic to get a grip on and understand at only 17 mos. old.

The thing is... she doesn't talk... and it's starting to freak me out a little bit. Just a little bit. She says Mama... but only when it suits her. Today she was actually saying Mama quite a bit, much more than I've been hearing her do it for a long time now. I've heard her say Dada maybe a handful of times. I've heard her say up just twice I think, and not very recently. She HAS learned... let me think... four signs in the last week. I guess she sees us doing it with Ben and just kind of picked it up. She can do the signs for more, please, eat, and candy (why doesn't THAT one surprise me!). So she gets the whole communicating thing, I just can't get her to TALK. I try to get her to all the time and practice words with her, but she doesn't say them. I'm a bit concerned and wondering what the story is.

The thing is that back when she had just turned 11 mos. old she was talking. She was saying probably 6 to 8 words. She was saying (with some regularity) Mama, Dada, up, dat, no, my (meaning mine), and I'm sure a few others I have forgotten at this point. Then a week after she turned 11 mos. she started walking... really walking, not just taking steps here and there and she just stopped talking all together. I remembered from some of the older kids that with a huge new milestone sometimes other things fall by the wayside and told myself not to worry. We know she CAN talk but she was focusing on walking so much that talking just kind fell off the priority list for her. Well, a month went by... then two... then four... now it's been 6 mos. since she started walking and she's still not really talking again and it's starting to really worry me.

Kit is seeing the Ped on Feb. 6th for her 18 mos. check-up so I figure I'll talk to him about it then, but I wonder if I should bring her in sooner. These kids, always something to worry about and me being a natural born worrier doesn't help much does it?

So I guess we'll see. I know she hears us. I know she understands us. I know she's got a firm grip on the world around her and she's self assured and very independent... she's smart I know that. She's doing great and growing well and eats great. So I should just count my blessings and shut up I suppose... but I'm a mom... I worry.

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

She probably has no need to talk: she has 7 other people to interpret her needs and talk for her! She'll probably just start sentences out of the blue one day.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

PS. The background here is so busy, it makes me cross-eyed. I can barely read the text. You might want to think about simplifying that. Or not. It's your blog.